BOONE, N.C. (AP) — North Carolina investigators are checking whether potentially lethal carbon monoxide was found in a motel room where an 11-year-old South Carolina boy died this weekend and two other guests were found dead almost two months ago.
WCNC in Charlotte reports that the Watauga County Health Department found carbon monoxide at the Boone motel where Jeffrey Williams of Rock Hill, S.C., died Saturday. His mother 49-year-old Jeannie Williams was rushed to a hospital.
Boone Police Sgt. Shane Robbins said their room at the Best Western Plus Blue Ridge Plaza is near a natural gas heater for the indoor pool.
A Longview, Wash., couple was found dead in the same motel room on April 16. They were 73-year-old Daryl Dean Jenkins and 72-year-old Shirley Mae Jenkins.
A health department spokeswoman declined comment.